Columbia University Staff Associate III in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number 00001870
Field(s) of Specialization Ocean and Climate Research
Position Title Staff Associate III
Department EIL Lamont Divisions
Division Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
Location Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Palisades, New York, is seeking a Staff Associate III/Software Engineer to support the mission of the Climate Data Science Lab by leading the development of scientific software for ocean and climate research. Contributes to the development and maintenance of open source software packages as needed for the advancement of scientific objectives. Develops high performance computational libraries in python and contributes to the development and maintenance of community-based open-source python projects. Collaborates with scientists to support research projects. Conducts some education and training around scientific computing.
Duties and Responsibilities include: - Develop, optimize, and maintenance of new high performance open-source computational libraries for oceanography and climate data analysis using Python and possibly Numba, C/C++ , Fortran, and Julia. - Develop and maintain the xarray python package and other community-based open-source packages which are required for Climate Data Science Lab research. - Work with postdocs and students to profile and optimize research code in support of scientific research projects. - Develop tutorials and other educational materials. - Travel to conferences and workshops to share software and conduct tutorials. - Works with minimal supervision on complex assignments that require a high degree of initiative and independent judgement. - Controls budget for cloud computing ($50K).
Minimum Degree Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physical Science, or Engineering.
- 4-6 years of related experience required.
- Active GitHub profile and presence.
- Knowledge of best practices around software documentation, testing, and continuous integration.
- Knowledge of scientific computing algorithms and optimization.
- Familiarity of at least one of the following programming languages: C, C++, Fortran, Julia.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others as well independently.
- Graduate degree preferred and may compensate for work experience provided the candidate has experience developing scientific software and a track record of sustained contributions to open source Python project(s).
Appointments are made on a fiscal year basis and are eligible for renewal each July 1st, contingent upon performance and funding.
The search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.
Columbia University benefits are offered with this Officer of Research appointment.
RAPS posting date 09/11/2020
Search Closing Date
Special Instructions to the Applicant
We accept online applications only.
Proposed Start Date
The Lamont community values diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Quick Link http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/6223
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
List of References
- Cover Letter