Columbia University Staff Associate I in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number 00001864
Field(s) of Specialization
Position Title Staff Associate I
Department EIL Lamont Divisions
Division Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
Location Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
The Staff Associate I will join the Data Library team at the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI) to support, maintain, develop and use the Data Library to accomplish the objectives of IRI projects and the mission of the institution.
General responsibilities include the acquisition, development, and maintenance of climate-related datasets and associated metadata to be served through the IRI Data Library. This includes working with IRI research scientists and providing assistance with datasets and climate forecast model output and using analytical skills for the production of climate-related analyses to meet project objectives, typically using the Data Library programming language (Ingrid, based on postscript). The candidate will also work collaboratively with project scientists and international and domestic partners from a variety of disciplines, such as health, food security, agriculture, and natural hazards, to adapt and develop specialized “Maproom” data analyses and online products and tools based upon Data Library functionality.
Minimum Degree Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in meteorology, oceanography, atmospheric physics, mathematics, or geophysics and 4 years’ experience preferred.
- Previous experience with computer programming, scripting, and geospatial data analysis in the area of climate science in a Unix/Linux operating system environment.
- Familiarity with the output from climate forecast models and other climate-related data products.
- Familiarity with data formats commonly used in climate science, such as netCDF, HDF, and GRIB/GRIB2, and related tools.
- English writing and communication skills.
- Experience in python, as well as in version control software (e.g. git), desirable.
- Skills in other languages such as Spanish and French desirable.
Appointments are made on a fiscal year basis and are eligible for renewal each July 1st, contingent upon performance and funding.
The search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.
RAPS posting date 09/10/2020
Search Closing Date
Special Instructions to the Applicant
We accept online applications only.
Proposed Start Date
The Lamont community values diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Quick Link http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/6218
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
List of References
- Cover Letter