Columbia University Assistant Director, Finance Operations in New York, New York
Job TitleAssistant Director, Finance Operations
Job Code Title
Job Requisition Number 095687
Department 4602- SPS School of Professional Studies
Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular
If temporary, indicate duration
Hours Per Week 35
Job Family Finance / Accounting
Salary Grade 12
Salary Range Commensurate with experience
Advertised Summary Job Description Reporting to the Senior Executive Director, Finance and Administration, the Assistant Director has comprehensive responsibility for overseeing all aspects of the financial operations of the School of Professional Studies. S/he works closely with the Senior Executive Director in directing a $100M annual portfolio across all degree and non-degree programs. Serves as the Schools primary liaison with central accounts payable and central payroll.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES: (100% of total job)
Management of Finance Operations ? Facilitates the School-wide responsibility of managing the Finance Operations. The Assistant Director will:
(1) Working closely with the Senior Executive Director, exercise comprehensive oversight on all spending in SPS accounts with authorized signatory for all SPS accounts ensuring the compliance with CU policies and procedures, IRS, government and private agency regulations on financial disbursements, etc..
(2) Manage the reconciliation of payroll and other accounts.
(3) Manage the reconciliation of expenses and preparing tracking reports as requested
(4) Manage a suite of reports to track the efficiency of the Finance Operations
(5) Oversee purchasing activity and contract related financial matters negotiating consultant service agreements and vendor purchasing agreements with third parties.
(6) Oversee processing of invoices, purchase orders, consulting contracts, P-card use, honoraria, travel and business expense reports, and travel advances. Assist with processing financial transactions using Columbia University's ARC (Accounting and Reporting at Columbia) accounting system as needed
(7) Manage payroll function with respect to the following:
(a) Timely reconciliation of payroll
(b) Timely payment of casual staff
(8) Manage the Finance Operations staff
(9) Build processes and procedures to ensure compliance with CU policies and procedures, IRS, government and private agency regulations on financial disbursements, etc.
(10) Manage general inquiries inbox
(11) Lead training and support to SPS staff on finance operations policies and procedures
(12) Maintain finance website
(1) Design and develop ad hoc financial analysis to support program and department goals and objectives;
(2) Update existing financial analysis as required and analyze results and variances, identify trends, and recommend actions;
(1) Execute accurate and on-time month-, quarter-, and year-end closing of the School's budget in-line with the University and Arts & Science policies and procedures as it relates to accounting calendar;
(2) Maintain policies and procedures document for finance operations;
(3) Perform audits to ensure process/controls are effective and functioning;
(4) Oversee student billing and invoicing to business partners and agents
Other Responsibilities Include
(1) providing assistance for finance inquiries internally and externally in accordance with departmental and University guidelines and standards
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant - Three to five years of related experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant 1. Advanced competency in the Microsoft Office Suite
Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
Detailed oriented with strong organizational skills and a proactive attitude
Ability to lead and perform in a team environment
Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, and internal personal skills
Proven track record for improving process efficiencies and solving problems
Client service focus
Preferred Qualifications 1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Math, Accounting, Engineering or Financial discipline preferred(with additional course work or training related to business processes)
- Experience with ARC (Accounting and Reporting at Columbia), Oracle/PeopleSoft or comparable financial systems preferred.
Additional Essential Functions (Limit to 3950 characters.)
This position works with:
HIPAA Compliance training required No Response
Participation in Medical Surveillance required No Response
What type of posting? Is this a waiver request? Standard Posting
Requisition Open Date 11-16-2018
Requisition Close Date Open Until Filled
Quick Link jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=173197
EEO Statement Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Local Hiring Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
This organization is a federal contractor subject to the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, 38 U.S.C. 4212 (VEVRAA). The final rules now require contractors and subcontractors to invite applicants to self-identify as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities.
You can update your demographic information by logging in and clicking on "EDIT APPLICATION".
The information is being requested on a voluntary basis, and will be kept confidential. Refusal to provide this information will not subject the applicant to any adverse treatment, and will not be used in a manner inconsistent with the act.